Model NameModelPunching OperationPitchPunching LengthDisengaging DiesHole PunchBinding ThicknessSingle Punching CapacityCloser SelectorClosing MechanismMaster SelectorMetal Wire SnatchWire Diameter ScaleSide Margins ControlPunching Margin ControlWeight / Volume
Akiles WireMac 2:1Manual2:114" (27 dies)All 27Rectangular (0.157" x 0.217")From 3/16" to 1-1/4"Up to 20 sheets (20 lbs)IncludedVerticalIncludedIncludedIncludedIncludedIncluded45 lbs / 2.55 CbFt
Akiles WireMac 3:1Manual3:1 / 2:114" (40 dies) / 14" (27 dies)All 40 / All 27Square 0.157"x0.157"
0.157" x 0.217"From 3/16" to 9/16" / From 5/8" to 1-1/4"Up to 20 sheets (20 lbs)IncludedVerticalIncludedIncludedIncludedIncludedIncluded45 lbs / 2.55 CbFt
Akiles WireMac-Duo ComboManual3:1, 3 holes per 1" / 2:1, 2 holes per 1"14" with open throats for longer documents.40 dies / 27 diesSquare 4mm x 4mm / Rectangular 4mm x 5.5mm3/16" - 9/16" / 5/8 - 1-1/4"20 sheets of 20 lbs bond paperIncludedVerticalIncludedIncludedIncludedIncludedIncluded53 Lbs & 2.22 CbFt
Akiles WireMac-EX 2:1Electric (Foot Pedal)2:114" with open throat for longer documentsAll 27Rectangle (4 x 5.5 mm)3/16" to 1-1/4"Up to 25 sheets (20 lbs. paper)IncludedVerticalIncludedIncludedIncludedIncludedIncluded55 lbs./ 19" W x 16" D x 16" H
Akiles WireMac-EX 3:1Electric (Foot Pedal)3:114" with open throat for longer documentsAll 40Square (4mm x 4mm)3/16" to 9/16"Up to 25 sheets (20 lbs. paper)IncludedVerticalIncludedIncludedIncludedIncludedIncluded55 lbs./ 19" W x 16" D x 16" H
Akiles WireMac E 2:1Electric (Foot Pedal)2:114" with open throat for longer documentsAll 53 diesRectangular 4mm x 5.5mm1/4" - 1-1/4"Up to 20 sheets (20 lbs paper)IncludedVerticalIncludedIncludedIncludedIncludedIncluded72 lbs & 2.92 CbFt
Akiles WireMac E 3:1Electric (Foot Pedal)3:114" with open throat for longer documentsAll 40Square 4mm x 4mm3/16" - 9/16"Up to 20 sheets (20 lbs paper)IncludedVerticalIncludedIncludedIncludedIncludedIncluded72 lbs & 2.92 CbFt
Akiles WireMac-Duo Combo Wire Binding Machine
- Punches and Closes both 3:1 AND 2:1 Pitch Wires
- 20 sheets single punching capacity (20 lbs paper)
- 14" width punching capacity with open sides for even wider documents
- All dies can be independently disengaged, to allow the punching of any size document while preventing partial side-end perforation.
- Closing capacity: From 3/16" to 1-1/4"
- All metal construction
- Limited 1 Year Manufacturer's Warranty
- Punching Pitch: 3:1, 3 holes per 1" / 2:1, 2 holes per 1"
- Disengageable Dies: 40 dies / 27 dies
- Punching Holes: Square 4mm x 4mm / Rectangular 4mm x 5.5mm
- Binding Capacity: 3/16" - 9/16" / 5/8 - 1-1/4"
- Punching Length: 14" with open throats for longer documents.
- Punching Capacity: 20 sheets of 20 lbs bond paper
- Die Disengagement Pins: For a clean and complete punching with different paper sizes.
- Continuous Punch Guide (3:1 Only) & Open Throats: For punching documents larger than 14".
- Depth Margin Controls: Provides the correct punching margin depth needed for all wire sizes and maximizes the document's tear resistance.
- Side Margin Controls: Provides a well-centered punch for all document sizes.
- Master Selector: Determines the correct: Wire Diameter, Closing Position, Depth Margin, Wire Pitch.
- Diameter Scale: Measures document's thickness in order to select best wire size option.
- Wire Closer Control: Adjusts the wire closer to close wires from 3/16" to 1-1/4"
- Closing Mechanism: Vertical
- Wire Snatch: Holds wire in place for easier inserting of sheets.
- Manufacturer's Warranty: 1 Year Manufacturer
- Weight & Cubit Feet : 53 Lbs & 2.22 CbFt
Akiles WireMac Duo Combo Review
It seems that Akiles has looked to fill a gap in the marketplace with the WireMac Duo. As the only machine available to consumers that can bind documents with either a two to one or three to one pitch hole pattern, the WireMac Duo offers users some unprecedented flexibility. Here are some of the strengths and weaknesses of this machine as we see them.
- Of course one of the WireMac Duo’s biggest strengths is its ability to punch in either a two to one or three to one pitch ratio. If you consider that you can use the three to one pitch punch with wire-o, spiral coil, or GBC Proclick, and that the two to one pitch punch can utilize double loop and spiral coil, you actually have the possibility of five separate binding styles with the WireMac Duo. That is a lot of flexibility for a machine at this price point, and perhaps one of the reasons the WireMac Duo seems to be growing in popularity.
- This machine features a pair of punching throats, each of them 14 inches in length. What this gives you is the ability to punch any document that is legal sized or smaller. While this is a great capacity, it is important to note that the open throat design and the fully disengageable dies of the WireMac Duo mean that you can punch documents that are larger by using a two punch process.
- The WireMac Duo has a nice little system in place for setting the depth at which you punch you holes. It is very easy to use, and will help you ensure the strength and usability of the books that you are producing.
- We really liked the inclusion of the wire closing mechanism on the WireMac Duo, and were especially impressed with the heavy duty construction that it features. It is clearly designed to last for years. Plus, the wire hanging hooks that are also on the front of the machine provide a very efficient system for adding pages onto your wire binding spines before you close them.
- Although this machine can be used to bind documents with both three to one and 0.400 pitch coils, these supplies can be a difficult to get a hold of. In fact, they can take a few days to produce so you will want to make sure you stay on top of your supply ordering process.
- The WireMac Duo has a ton of great features, but with that comes, of course, a little bit of a learning curve for inexperienced users. This is a machine has a lot of buttons, handles, and knobs, and if you have never operated and kind of binding machine before you may be a little bit confused. This is not something that should dissuade you from purchasing the WireMac Duo, just something that you should be aware of. Once you get the hang of this machine, you should have no problems at all.
- This machine offers great flexibility but it is still a manual binding system. High volume users may want to consider purchasing an electric binding system or a modular binding punch to increase productivity.